Maintaining your F-1/J-1 Student
Remember, it is your
responsibility to maintain a legal status in the United
- Attend the school and degree program indicated on your I-20 or
IAP-66 form. Request a new form if there is any change in your
degree level or major.
- Carry a full course of study (9 credit hours for graduate
students). Exceptions can be approved ONLY by the International
Student Advisor-Designated School Official.
- Keep your I-20 or IAP-66 form valid at all times. Check the
expiration date in item #5 to make sure that it is still valid.
Request a new form if any major changes occur in your situation
(changes in source of funding, marital status, major, degree
- Follow the required procedures (with the help of the
Designated School Official/International Advisor) when
- applying for extension of stay
- transferring to or from another school
- applying for off-campus work authorization (practical
- Limit employment, both on and off-campus, to a maximum of 20
hours per week while school is in session.
- Refrain from off-campus employment without INS or school
authorization. Off-campus work permission is approved ONLY by INS
in case of an extraordinary circumstance. It is illegal to work
without authorization and you are subject to deportation.
- Keep your passport valid at all times, unless exempt from the