Academic training for J-1 students
When can you apply for academic training?
- after you received a job offer related directly to your area of study
- you are in good academic standing, expecting to graduate within a few weeks
- before your program ends or your IAP-66 form expires, whichever comes first
When can you not apply for academic training?
Checklist for application:
Things to remember:
- The limitation on academic training is 18 months
- For post-doctoral positions the initial 18 months can be extended for another 18 months
- The academic training cannot be longer than the academic coursework
- Academic training applications have to be processed before your IAP-66 expires or your program ends
- You are still in J-1 status when you are on academic training
- If you travel outside the U.S., you still need an endorsement on the back of your IAP-66 form. If you need to renew your visa, you will be issued a new IAP-66 form